Compassionate Museum-Quality Antique Mirror Frame Restoration and Gilding
We do mirror frame restoration in Ryde, Sydney, by repairing deteriorated timber and backing, strengthening the structure, maintaining repousse (low relief metalwork), and replacing destroyed sections to make your heirloom new again. Speak to us about your refurbishment project.
Related Services We Provide Beside Frame Restoration
Send us a message if you want us to prepare a quotation and free condition report regarding the refurbishment of your aged decorative objects, whether a priceless collector’s piece or family treasure with sentimental value.
- We provide award-winning restoration and conservation of Chinese and Japanese lacquer, Chinoiserie, Boulle work, bronze, china, porcelain, and terracotta as well as frame restoration.
- Chinoiserie was used in paintings and on mirror frames, folding screens, furniture, and porcelain in the mid- to late 17th Century. The term refers to the European understanding and simulation of East Asian and Chinese decorative traditions, and the form is reminiscent of the Rococo style with its vivacious embellishments and utilisation of different substances such as enamel on bronze.
- Boulle refers to ornate marquetry or inlays on ornaments, frames, panels, and furniture. The artists used to cut and fit thin pieces of shell, metal, ivory, horn, and wood to shape elaborate motifs. This decorative art-form reached its height in 17th and 18th Century France.
We’ve focused on restoring rare antiques, war memorials, interior and exterior gilding, interior decorative stencil work, murals, statues, as well as pewter and other alloys since 1990. We will gladly speak to you if you want to renew your artefacts.
The Importance of Woodwork Repair
Family heirlooms pass from one generation to the next. They represent your family’s history and are exquisite. They may also be extremely valuable, depending on their historical rarity.
- We are an award-winning enterprise (Build Best Antique Furniture Restoration Business – Australia) and employ time-honoured methods and materials – whenever feasible – to retain the object’s authenticity.
- Wood becomes damaged, finishes fade, brass mountings, and handles become tarnished, and the timber dries out, making woodwork repair of the antique essential to ensure the survival of the piece. We reconstruct and strengthen the frame in addition to cleaning, polishing, and waxing the surface to protect the timber from drying out again. Varnishing is also required in some woodwork repair instances.
- Items may arrive in pieces, with missing and broken elements. Restoration entails fixing the damage, putting the existing timber parts together, solidifying the structure, replacing missing segments, and gilding the frame again, if required. Shellacking restores the colour and accentuates the patterns in the wood. The frame restoration should be aged to match the earlier finish if parts are newly added.
Would you like us to respectfully recondition your treasures to look like the precious legacies they are before passing them on one day?
Why You Should Use Inhof Restoration & Design
You will receive an upfront written quotation before we undertake the restoration and we photograph each item both before the work starts and as the process continues. We keep you informed of any discoveries and obtain your permission for the next step and any added charges involved. Contact us.